You know what you want to do. You certainly know what you need to be doing.
But you’re off somewhere else.
Because procrastination has once again swept into your mind and actions.
And so you escape.
Onto Facebook, into a video game or a movie or simply by doing easier and less important tasks.
I am no stranger to this. I have been there hundreds of times, especially during my early twenties when I was I college.
But what can you do about it? Well, today I won’t be sharing what has been most helpful for me to minimize my own procrastination.
Instead I’d like to offer 20 of the most motivational and insightful thoughts from the people who have come before us on procrastination and on getting things done.
1. “When you have to make a choice and don’t make it, that in itself is a choice.”
– William James
2. “If you want to make an easy job seem mighty hard, just keep putting off doing it.”
– Olin Miller
3. “It is only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth – and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up – that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had.”
– Elizabeth Kubler-Ross
4. “Time is an equal opportunity employer. Each human being has exactly the same number of hours and minutes every day. Rich people can’t buy more hours. Scientists can’t invent new minutes. And you can’t save time to spend it on another day. Even so, time is amazingly fair and forgiving. No matter how much time you’ve wasted in the past, you still have an entire tomorrow.”
– Denis Waitley
5. “How soon ‘not now’ becomes ‘never.’”
– Martin Luther
6. “In a moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing to do, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.”
– Theodore Roosevelt
7. “Amateurs sit and wait for inspiration, the rest of us just get up and go to work.”
– Stephen King
8. “A year from now you may wish you had started today.”
– Karen Lamb
9. “If you don’t pay appropriate attention to what has your attention, it will take more of your attention than it deserves.”
– David Allen
10. “Take time to deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in.”
– Napoleon Bonaparte
11. “You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”
– Martin Luther King, Jr.
12. “Do the hard jobs first. The easy jobs will take care of themselves.”
– Dale Carnegie
13. “Think of many things; do one.”
– Portuguese proverb
14. “Procrastination is the thief of time: Year after year it steals, till all are fled, and to the mercies of a moment leaves the vast concerns of an eternal scene.”
– Edward Young
15. “To think too long about doing a thing often becomes its undoing.”
– Eva Young
16. “Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
– Jim Rohn
17. “Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.”
– Pablo Picasso
18. “The least productive people are usually the ones who are most in favor of holding meetings.”
– Thomas Sowell
19. “Follow effective actions with quiet reflection. From the quiet reflection will come even more effective action.”
– Peter Drucker
20. “How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”
– Anne Frank
Have a productive Monday!!!